Museum Folkwang
Holländische Kunstausstellung / in Krefeld
  • Jan Thorn-Prikker
  • Holländische Kunstausstellung / in Krefeld, 1903

  • Art Exhibition of the Netherlands in Krefeld
  • Colour lithography
  • 83,5 x 121 cm
  • Printing Press S. Lankhout & C. Haag, Den Haag
  • Inv. DPM 11214
  • CommentaryThe history of the Kaiser Wilhelm Museum begins in 1880 and it was finally opened in 1894. Arts and crafts and contemporary art were the focus of its collecting and exhibiting activities in this early phase. Friedrich Deneken (1857-1927), from 1897 director of the museum, viewed the collection of pioneering (initially foreign) posters as an important task from the beginning. The number of high-quality posters announcing museum exhibitions was doubtless also due to his initiative. From 1922 his successor, Max Creutz (1876-1939), continued the poster collection. An exceptional acquisition came with the purchase of the collection of posters from the Hagen ›Museum für Kunst in Handel und Gewerbe‹ in 1924, as the museum was broken up after the death of its founder Karl Ernst Osthaus (1921). Finally, in 1961 the Kaiser Wilhelm Museum collection formed the starting point (exhibition ›Die Jugend der Plakate‹) for a new interest in posters in Germany after the Second World War.
  • Obj_Id: 30,443
  • Obj_Internet_S: ja
  • Obj_Ownership_S (Verantw):German Poster Museum
  • Obj_SpareNField01_N (Verantw): 242
  • Obj_Creditline_S: Deutsches Plakat Museum im Museum Folkwang
  • Obj_Title1_S: Holländische Kunstausstellung / in Krefeld
  • Obj_Title2_S: Art Exhibition of the Netherlands in Krefeld
  • Obj_PartDescription_S (Titelerg):
  • Obj_SpareMField01_M (Alle Titel): Holländische Kunstausstellung / in Krefeld Art Exhibition of the Netherlands in Krefeld Holländische Kunstausstellung / in Krefeld
  • Obj_Dating_S: 1903
  • Jahr von: 1,903
  • Jahr bis: 1,903
  • Obj_IdentNr_S: DPM 11214
  • Obj_IdentNrSort_S: DPM 011214
  • Obj_Classification_S (Objtyp): Poster
  • Obj_Crate_S: 83,5 x 121 cm
  • Obj_Material_S:
  • Obj_Technique_S: Colour lithography
  • Obj_SpareSField01_S (Mat./Tech.): Colour lithography
  • Obj_AccNote_S (Erwerb):
  • Obj_PermanentLocation_S (Standort):
  • Obj_Condition1_S (Druckerei): S. Lankhout & C. Haag, Den Haag
  • Obj_Condition2_S (Auflage):
  • Obj_Subtype_S (Genre):
  • Obj_Rights_S: © Museum Folkwang, Essen
    Photo: Museum Folkwang, Essen
Commentary
Artists

The history of the Kaiser Wilhelm Museum begins in 1880 and it was finally opened in 1894. Arts and crafts and contemporary art were the focus of its collecting and exhibiting activities in this early phase. Friedrich Deneken (1857-1927), from 1897 director of the museum, viewed the collection of pioneering (initially foreign) posters as an important task from the beginning. The number of high-quality posters announcing museum exhibitions was doubtless also due to his initiative. From 1922 his successor, Max Creutz (1876-1939), continued the poster collection. An exceptional acquisition came with the purchase of the collection of posters from the Hagen ›Museum für Kunst in Handel und Gewerbe‹ in 1924, as the museum was broken up after the death of its founder Karl Ernst Osthaus (1921). Finally, in 1961 the Kaiser Wilhelm Museum collection formed the starting point (exhibition ›Die Jugend der Plakate‹) for a new interest in posters in Germany after the Second World War.