Museum Folkwang
A VIII
  • László Moholy-Nagy
  • A VIII, 1923

  • Oil on canvas
  • 95 x 77 cm
  • Acquired in 1973 with support of the Krupp-Jubiläumsstiftung
  • Inv. G 397
  • CommentaryLászló Moholy-Nagy was on of the most multi-talented artists of the 1920’s and 1930’s. He was a typographer, photographer, constructor of kinetic sculptures, set-designer and author of texts on art theory. Born in Hungary, he emigrated via Vienna to Berlin in 1920. From 1923 he taught at the Bauhaus in Weimar, Dessau and Berlin, and then later (from 1937) in a similar institute in Chicago he helped to found.
    With few exceptions, Moholy-Nagy only made abstract paintings – unlike for example Kandinsky or Mondrian. In Berlin, he quickly came into contact with the circle around El Lissitzky and other artists of the Russian avant-garde. Moreover, Moholy-Nagy was the Berlin correspondent of magazine MA (‘Today’), founded in Budapest and edited by his friend Lajos Kassák from 1920. A VIII is less painting and more constructive pictorial architecture – a term Kassák coined in 1921 for certain new forms of art.
  • Provenance1972, Dr. Hans Helmut Klihm, München
  • Obj_Id: 3,408
  • Obj_Internet_S: ja
  • Obj_Ownership_S (Verantw):Painting, Sculpture, Media Art
  • Obj_SpareNField01_N (Verantw): 187
  • Obj_Creditline_S: Gemäldesammlung
  • Obj_Title1_S: A VIII
  • Obj_Title2_S:
  • Obj_PartDescription_S (Titelerg):
  • Obj_SpareMField01_M (Alle Titel): A VIII A VIII
  • Obj_Dating_S: 1923
  • Jahr von: 1,923
  • Jahr bis: 1,923
  • Obj_IdentNr_S: G 397
  • Obj_IdentNrSort_S: G 0397
  • Obj_Classification_S (Objtyp): Painting
  • Obj_Crate_S: 95 x 77 cm
  • Obj_Material_S: Oil on canvas
  • Obj_Technique_S:
  • Obj_SpareSField01_S (Mat./Tech.): Oil on canvas
  • Obj_AccNote_S (Erwerb): Acquired in 1973 with support of the Krupp-Jubiläumsstiftung
  • Obj_PermanentLocation_S (Standort):
  • Obj_Condition1_S (Druckerei):
  • Obj_Condition2_S (Auflage):
  • Obj_Subtype_S (Genre):
  • Obj_Rights_S: © VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2017
Commentary
Artists
Provenance

1972, Dr. Hans Helmut Klihm, München